Monday, July 25, 2022

How-to-Hood for Baby Surprise Jacket

 OK so this is BSJ number 9.  I tend to just pick up some yarn, do a sample to try the fabric and drape, and get knitting. This garment is going to Lifting Hands International,  so size is unimportant. 

I decided that I would try a hood. There are several online BSJ's with hoods but I decided to try my own. 



After finishing the sweater body, I sewed it together. Then: 

1) Pick up stitches around the collar, I would say at a 1:1 ratio. 

2) Increase 2 stitches every other row on either side of two middle stitches at the back of the hood.  I did this for about 5 inches.  This will vary with the "size" of your BSJ.  My chest size is 24 inches, so possibly age 6. 

3) Keep knitting straight until the hood looked "long" enough (i.e. the face opening was large enough for the size of the sweater. 

4) Divide the hood stitches in half and kitchener stitch them together.  Add a pom pom to the back of the hood if you like. (I'm not a pom pom person so I didn't). 

On my next BSJ, I'm going to do the cuff sleeves in ribbing. 

According to my Ravelry group, "Hats and More for War-Torn Syria" (not just Syria anymore but the name sticks) LHI sent containers to Ukraine, Jordan, and Afghanistan in July 2022, and another is headed to Poland in August 2022.  I know that this sweater will help to warm a small child. 



No comments:

Post a Comment