Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks: I am thankful for time for knitting, and edible flowers

I am hard at work to finish my hap shawl.  The goal is to finish this weekend.  Photos by Sunday at the latest.  I don't want to post any photos till I'm done.

I am also working on another holiday UFO, a sweater for my little nephew.  The sweater is also from the Noro Kids book.  This one is called Alex, also in Plymouth Encore.  Here it is in progress




Today, I am working on art in food.  I have always been interested in edible flowers.  Once upon a long time ago, my friend Lois and I drove from New York City to Capriland's in Coventry, Connecticut.  Adelma Grenier Simmons was still alive and looked like a little gnome in a woolen cape and little cap.  At lunch we were served a salad that was covered in edible flowers.  I recall that they brought the composed salad around to the tables before serving it so that we could see it first.  Several years later, my friend Susie gave me a cookbook that Adelma authored.  

From roaming around on the internet, it appears now that Caprilands is closed.  Adelma passed away in 1997.  HOWEVER we can still grow herbs, including edible flowers, and her legacy lives on.   Here is a list of edible flowers from our friends at wikipedia.

In the past, I bought a collection of edible flower seeds from some seed catalog that also no longer exists.  But I recall that it included johnny jump-ups, borage, calendula, chives and nasturtiums.  

Here in South Carolina, the pansies and johnny jump-ups bloom all winter.  My Thanksgiving salad is adorned with johnny jump-ups.  I think it looks really fetching.



I do love nasturtiums; I'll start some from seed after the winter solstice.  Both leaves and flowers are edible.

I have also baked Lucia Buns.  While Lucia Day is December 13th, this is my excuse to bake the fragrant but delicately scented Lucia buns, lussekatt,  for my whole family.  The recipe I use is from Prairie Home Breads, which is a favorite baking book.  The book contains lovely recipes from our Grandmothers from the old country, preserved in midwestern culture.  I cheated and did not hand form each bun, rather, I did them "monkey bread" style.  Each one has a raisin in it.  



Happy Thanksgiving!  Be sure to go for a walk afterwards, or before, or both!

  

1 comment:

  1. You sure make some beautiful dishes. However, I have never heard about the "monkey bread "style, but it looks good.

    ReplyDelete