Saturday, December 8, 2012

Not quite done...

I was wrong about being almost done with holiday knitting a couple of posts back, and I continue to suffer this year with gauge and size issues.  For example, I was planning a last minute hat for son R that I knew I could do quickly.  I had used the same yarn and needles for B's hat and it was fine.  HOWEVER I did a more intensive stranded pattern with 3 colors in a row and unwittingly changed my gauge...this will fit a 5 year old...




I am almost done with it but will restart. (I'll keep this one to donate somewhere).  I also thought perhaps I would use slightly larger dpns to start the crown of the hat (it's a top down pattern) and went looking for some other dpns.  Here's the end of my search 





Note the very accidental placement (!!!) of my favorite Louisa May Alcott quote on the mug "housekeeping ain't no joke."  Now you know this is humor as the word "ain't" was not in Louisa's routine vocabulary! 

Now there must be another way...I have something on order...

Meanwhile here's another frustration outside the window




On a more positive note, there are also doll clothes for Linda's little neice to work on...this nice person on Ravelry does patterns for MyTwinn dolls (little niece is getting one for Christmas) and her Twinn needs something warm...here's the start



Linda brought the Twinn over and it does indeed fit, thank goodness!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    I am a tight knitter so always go up a size or two in needles for the colourwork portions of my pattern :-)
    I know alot of people think the squirrels are frustrating but I tend to take pity on them and buy lots of unsalted peanuts for them. They (and my bluejays) are here everyday for their nuts.

    ReplyDelete