Sunday, July 29, 2018

I love my drum carder

I got my drum carder several years ago for a song. I didn't realize how much of a song it was until I got home and priced them.  Mine does not have the manufacturer label except for a part that says "made in Canada".

Several members of my Guild, the Fiber Guild of the Savannahs (we have a beautiful new website, I'm happy to show it off), have been active in Tour de Fleece this year. It seems appropriate to blog about it today as it is the final day of the Tour de France for 2018 today, therefore the end of the Tour de Fleece. I often do better finishing a project with deadlines so I got some serious spinning done!

When I first got my carder, I was thinking that is was mostly for prep for raw fiber. Then I went to a workshop at SAFF with Esther Rodgers and learned a bit more.

Having some dyed roving around, it seemed appropriate to blend with the carder. I do find that spinning blended colors is a little more interesting...
Here are some process and results photos








Here is the resulting yarn. I'm not sure what type of wool it is, but it's pretty soft. I got the roving as color samples and used the "cool" side of the color wheel all  together.  It's pretty soft though. Spun on my Ashford Traditional and plied on my Louet. I use my Louet s15 mostly for plying but I should use it more for spinning. It has a very sturdy feel to it. 




Here is another yarn finished for the "Tour."  This is merino plus silk done in a single. Obviously, this is the other side of the colorway! You can see bits of turquoise silk noile.  Diana Twiss taught me to use the silk noile in handspun last year at Olds College Fibre Week. (She also helped me use the color wheel to think about my blending process). I can't wait to use this yarn for a shawl.





No comments:

Post a Comment