Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Dyeing with Cosmos

 I had a super crop of cosmos last year and saved and dried blossoms all summer. As they dry, they look more orange than yellow.

After this year's yellow sulfur cosmos crop, which was smaller, I decided that it was time to try. I had probably 3/4 cup of dried flowers and a couple ounces of mohair.  I don't have a photo here's one from Wikipedia

I added a few of  several types of coreopsis, some perennial and some that come up from seed (I do save seeds). I think this is tickseed, a perennial: 


And I tossed in a couple of these, maybe Dyer's Coreopsis also a perennial.


I used the method from Wildcraft Dyeing that I mentioned in my carrot top dyeing post.  I did not mess with the pH, it is whatever came out of the tap, and I have fairly hard water here at home. I used a couple of ounces of handspun mohair. Getting the color to "match"  (the photo to real life) is tough, I need to learn more about adjusting color and tone on the iphone to my subject. The lighter bottom two are the 2nd (exhaust) bath.




They go well with my carrot top green, which is kind of a celery green and does not look like that here




I do also use Cosmos for heat press prints






No comments:

Post a Comment