Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Sewing Adventure...Alabama Chanin

I went to a friend's house on Saturday evening. This is the same friend I mentioned in my last post. She had another acquaintance there who was transporting antique spinning wheels (Don't worry, it wasn't between state lines...OK that was a spinning wheel collector joke).  Anyway, we had grand fun.

I got to spin on a 200 year old great wheel from the Shakers in New Hampshire. This was pretty exciting because as I mentioned in a previous post, I am a descendent of New Hampshire Shakers.  There was also a Lyle Wheeler wheel that I got to try. Mind you, my one handed drafting skills required for the great wheel is basically absent so it was mostly "park and draft."




Anyway, we wound up the evening watching Craftsy and I was very taken with Natalie Chanin's swing skirt class.  Have a look at her website,  very exciting, wonderful making ideas

I have done little knitting since then, and have been practicing applique and embroidery on old tee shirts. For this one I used a stencil to paint the gingko leaves on a red tee shirt with SetaColor Opaque then stitch onto an orange one, then do "reverse negative applique" cutting away the red fabric. (I love this).



Anyway, the above was done in  anticipation of receiving this in the mail





Here, our new addition Louis helps me wait till the fabric is done in the washer...





1 comment:

  1. How did I miss that Shaker dishcloth? Absolutely something I would knit.

    The skirt looks really interesting -- I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete