Monday, October 15, 2018

Natural Dyed Wool: Coreopsis with some Carrot tops thrown in...

A friend of a friend was given some yarn by a wise (that means old enough to know something) lady, in her 90's.  This wise woman at some point  had attended a dyeing seminar or workshop. The wise lady gave the yarn to the friend who was not a wool person, who then gave it to my friend J, a wool person. All the samples were labelled. As wool goes, they are a wee bit brittle and aged. I have no idea when this dyeing happened. 

At any rate, J brought the samples to my house. I excitedly photo'd them all with my phone. Months later I've gotten around to making a photo collage at some miscellaneous website. 

You will have difficulty reading the labels so here are the dyes and modifiers, left to right and top to bottom
1) Coreopsis, alum, iron, sodium carbonate
2) Coreopsis, sodium carbonate, no mordant
3) Coreopsis, alum, sodium carbonate
4) Alum, carrot tops
5) Coreopsis, chrome, iron, sodium carbonate
6) Coreopsis, alum, iron
7)  Coreopsis, alum
8) Coreopsis, chrome, iron
9) Coreopsis, chrome, sodium bicarbonate

Of course, the color representation is likely inaccurate on your moniter/my phone, etc etc, plus the colors are likely faded after some years.  




There was another sample...wonder if it was more carrot tops.  It's my favorite, and it is labelled "Candide," one of the first wool yarns that I spent much time knitting, long ago...




No comments:

Post a Comment