Saturday, October 30, 2010

Estonian Lace Update and Five Year Anniversary Project

Here's my latest Estonian Lace WIP.  This is Nancy Bush's Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf, from Knitted Lace of Estonia:



The yarn is my handspun cormo singles at about 18 wraps per inch.  I'm not great at this spinning thing, it's a little thick and thin, so it's not exactly turning in to fine lace, but I like it.  Maybe I can blame the glass of wine I was sipping while spinning.  The cormo is from Juniper Moon Farm, and is dreamy soft.  It will be warm and soft neckwear for the recipient, a cousin who shall go unnamed just in case she's reading this...

 I have also been putting holiday knitting aside to work on my hap shawl;  I am up to the fan and feather lace edge, done in natural Shetland wool colors.  I am lucky to have a bad (good?) case of finishitis for this project.  I've pulled the needle out to give an idea here;  I have several more shades to go.




Here is Samantha making herself at home on it:




The end of September marked my five year anniversary as a homeowner in my present home.  I celebrated this last weekend by moving my compost pile, which had been next to the house.  I am a neglectful composter:   vegetable kitchen waste and yard waste including some pruning trimmings go in to the wire fence frame that I've formed in to a circle.  I then do nothing except keep adding to it for FIVE YEARS.  The four foot high wire structure which is 3 feet in radius had 4 feet of stuff in it.   The lugustrum shrubs next to the compost had twined their roots around it.  (It is alot worse than my yarn stash, which ain't very organized...).

It took:  a shovel, a loper, pruning shears, and a rake to clear the debris and remove the wire frame from the ground.  If I'd had an axe I would have used it.  If a teenaged boy had offered to help, I would have accepted it.  Almost extricated:




Done (meaning pulled out of the ground with roots attached):



Naturally, as I had included pruning clippings, I had to sieve the compost before putting it on the garden and the remainder in the new compost pile, which is away from the house.  Yes, I put the old sticks in the new compost pile. Why?  Dunno.  I used 1/2 inch metal screening (on the smaller cart) to strain it.



In September it will be my dwelling's anniversary... 

2 comments:

  1. The lace is beautiful. I am putting Nancy Bush's book on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very hard work to own a garden. Your Estonian lace is lovely and suits the handspun perfectly.

    ReplyDelete