Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vintage Knitting: Grandma Helen's Knitted Scarf

Grandma Helen taught me to knit. She was a good knitter, a functional knitter. We asked for sweaters, ponchos, she delivered.

Helen was good at math, having worked as a bookkeeper, and she had that sense of order and concentration that knitting often requires.

Last night as I was looking through lots of patterns for Rogue, (which I vow to do this year) I found this piece of paper




No idea where Helen got it the pattern, although I have a number of old Bernat books that were hers. Clearly, she hand copied it for me after I said yes, I'd like a copy. I've no recollection of this!

I recall reading an article by Elizabeth Zimmerman long ago.  She recalled a historical point in her life.  Vogue (I think) had sent her a knitting pattern with only directions, no photo.  I think I recall that it was an Aran sweater.  That's what this feels like:  no photo, no clue. 

So tonight I started it.  Looks from a cursory reading like it might  be an ascot sort of scarf.

Using some dk weight 80% baby alpaca and 20% silk that I got in at a shop in Arequipa, Peru last summer.  It's awful soft, what one needs around the neck.



Here's what I've got so far;  more to follow at some point.  Yes, I'll make a PDF available in case you're interested!


2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful looking yarn. How lovely to have your Grandma's handwritten pattern :-)
    I have many recipes that were handwritten by my Gram and I treasure all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very exiting and a lovely story. I am looking forward to your seeing the scarf.

    ReplyDelete