Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vintage WWII Hat, Bonnet Drama Notes, Thoughts on a Ditch Iris

I  like to knit from vintage patterns, and have a bit of a collection from when I frequented garage sales and flea markets.  That's a hobby that I will have to rediscover after I retire.

My friend Bob had this nice hat FO on Ravelry, his "World War II Cap."  The pattern is from a Bucilla book from 1940, which someone whose website is here kindly transcribed for all. Here's my version, I confess, in Vanna's Choice from Michael's



As son R and son B are heading out for summer adventures in northern climes this summer, I am trying to finish new hats for them, and this looked like it would do the trick for R, who asked for a "beanie."  Now, I don't think of a beanie as warm hat, but that's what this is called.



And on a completely different, subject...like... where have I been?  It took this article reprinted in a local paper for me to learn that what I am addicted to is the "bonnet drama"...I guess I'm more of a  Janeite than a Charlottan...nevertheless, bring on the Bronte....

on this general subject, do try this, you won't regret it






I've not embedded a video before so if it doesn't work try this link.You may also like this,  made me roll with laughter, but be warned, there is language content if you are sensitive to that sort of thing...unhappily, "Jane Austen's Fight Club" video has been removed from youtube.  It was also rip roaring fun.

 indeed, you may wish purchase your own Jane Austen Action Figure

I have had lousy luck growing irises here in SC.  It's been 5 years in this house, and the only regular repeat bloomer is what a former coworker called a "Ditch Iris," in other words, one that you dig up from a ditch.  

My sister called me several years ago and said "there are irises by the side of the road 10 markers from the hospital (where I was working at the time)".  I loaded a shovel in the back of the Honda and started counting markers.  No, it was no one's identifiable property.  I stopped and hastily dug some up.  Wild iris?  Formerly cultivated? 
 
PLEASE let me know if you do.  


Dinner last weekend:  saffron risotto, tomatos, basil, local shrimp




3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that Risotto looks very tastey!!
    I am afraid I don't have the best luck with Irises either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your iris has got a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your iris looks like Iris virginica which is native to NC.

    ReplyDelete